Holding Every Child to High Expectations
- School-wide beliefs, by teachers, parents, and students that all students will go to college.
- Quarterly, standards-based interim assessments to track mastery of learning standards.
- Passage presentations during which students demonstrate their readiness for the next grade level.
- Untracked, heterogeneous classrooms.
- College-counseling for every high school student.
Rigorous, Real-World Curriculum
- State and National Standards-Based Curriculum Learning investigations.
- Comprehensive Literacy Model and early literacy intervention.
- Focus on English Language Acquisition.
- Before and after school programs.
- Home Language Program Arts, Music, Fitness Programs.
- Lighthouse Creativity Lab!
Structures and Programs Serving the "Whole Child"
- Individual Learning Plans for each student.
- 10 Guiding Principles that create a school culture of respect, caring, and collaboration.
- Social and emotional counseling for individuals and groups of students.
- Healthy meals program available to all.
Families as Partners
- Family Learning Nights focused literacy and math throughout the year.
- One-on-one meetings with teachers three times/year to discuss progress and individual goals for the child.
- Weekly meetings ("Coffee Tuesday") for families to learn and engage with the school.
Professional Learning Community
- Teachers work 20 additional days per year to learn best practices of teaching and learning.
- Quarterly analysis of student data to improve instruction.
- Peer observation.
- Teachers as leaders of professional development.